Thursday, April 29, 2021

Crawfish Ratatouille

 The idea doesn't really sound very good. Not to me anyway. So there's these two guys on the PBS cooking channel and the pair are all gentrified and southern and singing the praises of southern fried whatever. Catfish and flapperfish and some other dang fish that I'd never heard of. Soak the fish in buttermilk overnight, then drag it through corn flakes, season with Louisiana's best salt, and then dip the mess into hot bacon grease and then and then...it was about at that point I'm thinking there is no way I'm about to visit the south or Louisiana or somewhere that's greaseifying fish. Not just fish but soup served cold with frozen bacon grease and corn meal balls dipped in olive oil and then fried in bacon grease. Talk about heart attack ready. So the fish frying southern guys are now on to crawfish ratatouille. Oh yeah, cold vegetable soup with crawfish bodies. Evidently in Louisiana and places of southern food origins, eating bugs and water critters that look like bugs is somehow a very big deal. I'm of the opinion that crawfish look like midget lobsters. I'm not a big fan of lobster either. That's just me. In the first place any creature that's about to be a meal and needs to be caught in a cage is pretty darn close to being not fair game. I could suppose that might apply to clams and oysters. Neither of those snot-looking creatures would find themselves on my dinner plate. I mean the clams and oysters really do look almost identical to snot when pried from their shells. Good lord and oh yuck! Also and by way of a disclaimer, I've never eaten clams or oysters. I did eat lobster back in the day just so long as I didn't have to look at the lobster before it got boiled. Did you know that lobsters scream when dumped unmercifully into boiling water? Well they do and if the boil masters of the poor damn lobster had ears that could hear, well, they'd hear the screaming lobsters and think twice before ever boiling live lobsters again. And yes, lobsters are boiled alive as are crawfish which brings this tirade back full circle. Crawfish ratatouille and southern cooking guys are actually about to make crawfish ratatouille and first the boys have got to boil crawfish. So you can see the crawfish wiggling around in a bucket that 'them boys' have at the ready and the poor crawfish are watching and screaming in horror as their fate is sealed. Par boiled? Anyway I'm not a big fan of cold soup. I'm really not a big fan of boiling any animal long enough to elicit the animal's death by boiling water. Damn if that doesn't sound torturous and cruel and definitely not edible. So I guess those frisky southern boys made their crawfish ratatouille and sucked head in the process. Sucking head is a Louisiana expression relating to crawfish. So if humans really are what we eat, well, I want no part of that. I think the food nazis should call their experiments in culinary torture for what it really is. Boiled alive lobster here! Fresh shucked clams and oysters here and get them before they run away. Which would definitely happen if the sorry little fuckers had legs. Snot served raw and cold on a half shell. Yummy? None for me thanks. Machine art comes next.

Amerikan cottage -


tusker -


I suppose that humans will eat just about anything that moves, doesn't move, wiggles, jiggles, and/or holds still long enough to be boiled. or roasted. or eaten while still alive... :/

No comments:

Post a Comment