Friday, December 15, 2023

A Beauty Day ... Eh?!?

 Thursday December 14, 2023 ... a dang fine beauty of a day. Clear blue skies, mild ambient air temperature, no wind, and the ancient heart of the Mojave Desert. A dang fine beauty of a day. Quiet and the kind of quiet you can only find IF you're a long way from civilization. I was able to walk in silence with the ancients whispering ancient tales of long ago. Magic ... Mojave magic. We found an ancient site where the knappers were making spear points and arrow heads. Flakes and pieces of flint of the finest order. Rule of thumb when stumbling onto a site such as the one we found, look DO NOT TOUCH ... EVER! I learned an incredibly important lesson about the 'look do not touch' rule and this was some years back. A long time back. I found a knapping site and figured I found the artifacts so they were mine to take home. WRONG! Oh so ever wrong. About a year after finding the artifacts, we returned to the site of the original find and we were punished viciously by the ancients. Wind, gale force winds with driving rain that poured down on my wife and I sideways. We were caught out in the open and by the time we managed to get back to our campsite, well, we were both soaked to the bone and the wind only amplified the cold we were caught in. I knew instinctively why this had happened and I knew what I had to do to placate the ancients and the spirits that dwell in such places as the Mojave that have been home and shelter to the ancients for millennia. Needless to say it is NOT a wise move to piss off the ancients. We lost a tent, Coleman stove that the wind picked up and tossed about 50 yards and trashed, one sleeping bag, and no way to prepare a meal that was even almost lukewarm. The very next year we returned to the site and I returned every last bird bone and shard I had plundered two years back and I included an offering to make amends. I made peace with the ancients and never ever pulled a stunt like the one where I had run afoul of the spirits of the sacred sites. If you walk in silence out in the Mojave and turn off all the dumb ass distractions that plague the postmodern human, you'll be able to hear the soft whisperings of the Ancients. Walk in silence with humility and respect for the desert. A beauty day ... no doubt. Now for Friday machine art.

scape -


log cabin -


sonora -


spiral -


m t g -


melting -


only ten days until the Xmas greed-fest. ten days will fly by in an almost blink of the human eye. 😏

No comments:

Post a Comment