Thursday, April 13, 2023

$25K

 A museum in the State of Maine is offering $25,000.00, and that I think is in the form of a cashier's check, for a recently fallen meteorite. Evidently, this meteor was seen in broad daylight, and radar screens actually were able to track the falling meteor. The meteor fell somewhere in a Maine forest that borders Canada. I've never been to Maine but I am fully functional in the reading of topographical maps. So the actual finding of the newly fallen meteorite will be no simple task. A meteor burns up in the atmosphere while a meteorite actually survives the entry to Earth and hits the old terra firma. So somewhere in the wilds of borderland Maine with Canada lays a rather pricey chunk of space rock. The sought-after meteorite, ideally, will be about the size of a softball and weigh about 2 pounds. You really would not want to get hit by a falling meteor let alone get smacked by one weighing about 2 pounds. That might incur some serious injury with broken bones. That goes without saying. My point here is this...I have in my personal rock collection several meteorites with one weighing a snidge over 20 pounds and about the size of a cantaloupe. That meteorite is a whopper. A big one. One of the meteorites is about the size of a baseball. I'm guessing that the meteorite weighs about a pound plus. Plus or minus whatever...I've never weighed that one. You see I found a strewn field some years back while out rockhounding and I collected a load of meteorites and most of the meteorites I gave away to friends and family. I kept the cream of the meteorite crop. The meteorite the size of a baseball I tried running through my rock polisher and I ruined the rock polisher. Bummer. Anyway and evidently I'm sitting on a small fortune in meteorites. Who knew. Now for Thursday machine art.

rabbit hole -


aberrant -


into the wild -


Madison's River -


a hatter's tea set -


folk can find meteorites just about any time and anywhere. the meteorites won't look like any other rocks and that's the first sign. next up in the meteorite hunt is to have in your possession at least one rare earth magnet. I have several that I keep with me just about all the time and always when I'm out checking over rocks. any rock that is magnetic is more than likely a meteorite not always but most of the time. so go and get 'em kids and tell that museum in Maine to keep their check at the ready. 👍

No comments:

Post a Comment